Monday, 5 September 2016

i-SPY with my little eye

I spy with my little eye something beginning with …………H


Hat?

No

Hill?

No

Hem?

No

Hook?

No

Erm….Hungary?

Now you’re being ridiculous. Give in?

Yes. Give in. What is it?

Horizon!

I-SPY - it’s one of those really annoying games where somebody always finds something to see that you don’t. This is actually a shortened, recollection of a game of I-SPY which I was playing with my family when Noah was just a boy. I remember my brothers were not that enthralled with me for coming up with that one but my mum can still remember that one to this day so I must have done something right. I had realised that you can always see a horizon but that it changes depending upon the length and direction of the journey.

Ever since Emily was born I’ve been playing I-SPY with somebody of other. Twenty four years later I’m still playing I-SPY.

I-SPY with my little eye something beginning with P

Potential!

My turn again. I-SPY with my little eye something beginning with P again.

Possibility.

I-SPY with my little eye something beginning with S and before you say it, it’s not SEN, SEND, Special, Syndrome or even Supercalafragalisticexpealidocious!!!

No this S is for Stress.

Stress. I see that. Do you see that? All too often I reckon. On the care-worn faces of loving, hard-working, dedicated parents who are trying so hard to get someone else to see that which begins with P.

Last one – I-SPY with my little eye something beginning with N.

Give in?

It’s N for Neck. The neck of those people in authority with their heads stuck in the sand and their backsides stuck up in the air. We all know who these people are. They’re doing different jobs in every town but they’re always there. Somewhere. Maybe lurking in a school or college, perhaps they’re shuffling their way through a local authority “career”, they might be dressed as a HealthCare Professional. Maybe they’re in your own family. You know them. Of course they deny it to your face but secretly they are in denial about their own feelings towards people with Down’s syndrome. Denial about what people with Down’s syndrome can achieve.

You may have seen Sunday Morning Live a couple of weeks ago where there was a discussion about the new NIPT test for Down’s syndrome and the ethical debate that goes with it. Rabbi Dr Jonathan Romain of the Maidenhead Synagogue offered a very outdated, stereotypical view of Down’s syndrome, no doubt formed many years ago but despite many letters and emails of complaint, he refuses to enter into a reasonable conversation about this matter and has offered so far only a standard response to everyone.

I see his neck.

What Dr Romain and [insert your own local ostrich here] haven’t realised is that the journey for people with Down’s syndrome is a developing one. It’s a progressive one. It’s a journey of possibility and potential. We have no idea what people with Down’s syndrome are actually capable of because we have failed to put the support in place to allow them to thrive. The survival mentality causes untold stress for so many and that must change. Without such change we are in the dark ages.


Yes, we are on a journey and we are still moving forward; and as we do so, the horizon is constant yet ever changing.  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment