Thursday, 30 April 2015

Bold assumption

I’ve not written for a while, it’s been a busy time in many ways, not least of which is thinking about Emily’s future. What happens after college? What does she want to do? Where does her future lie? Where is the support for whatever she wants to do? I’ve got to say that after Emily’s recent annual review at college I have many more questions than I had before and many more than I can list here. 


As we’re still in a process of discernment I don’t think it appropriate to divulge too much here and now but I will say this:

Forgive my bold assumption as we met around the table
I had this strange idea that the people there were able
To meet the needs of Emily, or at least you’d catch the vision
Of life when schoolings ended; her hopes and dreams; ambition

Forgive my disappointment when the dawn of truth awoke me
From my state of false-hope dreaming when your crass ignorance poked me
As a wounded bear defends her cub I had to bear my teeth
Through my blood-thirsty anger I hid the pain beneath

Forgive my crazy thinking that you cared about your students
I see your job is just a paycheck, but don’t you think it prudent
To have some self-respect; to dignify your position
Yet you wonder why parents around the world are preaching sedition

Forgive me as I take the reigns, you’ve really lost control
You’re in the world of special needs but you’ve lost sight of the goal
To allow each person the opportunity to reach their full potential
You squeeze square pegs into round holes, have you heard of differential?

Forgive my expectation that you’d heard of person-centred
Annual reviews are just your way of leaving me tormented
You’ve got no plan, no notes, no clue – just going through the motions
This is her life, her hopes, her dreams – don’t mess with her emotions

Forgive my bold assumption as we met around the table
I had this strange idea that the people there were able
To meet the needs of Emily, or at least you’d catch the vision
Of life when schoolings ended; her hopes and dreams; ambition


TO BE CONTINUED….


No comments:

Post a Comment